[ANN] "A First Look at XTDB v2" live session

[UPDATE: recording & slides now available here: v2 First Look - Show & Tell Session Replay · XTDB]

Join us for a live session next week to take a look at what’s in store for our first XTDB v2 feedback release coming in 2024 :christmas_tree:

Register here.

There’s also a new dev diary post on the blog :slight_smile:

Bumping this post for good measure :slight_smile: last chance to join!

Do we have a recording of last night’s session? :-p

Thanks for the engaging session, gents!

I had to drop off early, apologies if these points were addressed towards the end of the session:

• Is there an option for using a relational database as underlying storage (self-hosted)?
  • How does conversion from snake_case / camelCase to kebab-case work? In the demo this seemed to be done implicitly.
  • Is there some sort of console through which to administer XTDB v2?

Thanks again and please keep up the great work!

Hey @stef - no worries, thanks for joining!

Is there an option for using a relational database as underlying storage (self-hosted)?

I’m afraid not - we’re dependent on it being an object-store suitable for larger files. One could technically adapt it to use ‘blob’ support in SQL databases but it’s not something we’re actively considering supporting, for both performance and TCO reasons.

How does conversion from snake_case / camelCase to kebab-case work? In the demo this seemed to be done implicitly.

This is done as part of the result output - by default, for SQL queries it returns the original snake_case; for XTQL queries (in EDN) it returns kebab-case. If you’d like to override it, it’s the :key-fn option - currently takes either :clojure or a user-supplied Clojure function that takes a key and returns its rendered form (there are a couple of others - :sql and :snake_case, but I can’t guarantee the longevity of their behaviour!).

Is there some sort of console through which to administer XTDB v2?

Not yet - this is the kind of thing we’ll be working on as part of its production readiness over the next year or so. By and large we’ll try to hook into existing monitoring etc tooling, but if there’s anything specific you’d want from such a UI, please do let us know :slight_smile:

Cheers,

James

Hey @blshao84 - yep, it’s just finished processing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes