Plans for DBaaS/BaaS/managed offering?

Hi,

I’m excited for v2 and eager to learn more about its possibilities!
As the title states, are there currently any plans for “XTDB as a managed offering” (database as a service, etc.)? As someone with a mild FUD for anything related to self-managing (production) databases, and really just want to build on top of XTDB, it would be nice to just spin up an instance in a managed cloud environment.

Hey @andreas thanks for sharing your enthusiasm! :smiley:

Our current priority is to get Design Partners up and running reliably in their environments of choice, where our recent focus has been on deploying into existing Azure and AWS accounts.

Once we’ve stabilised these early deployments of v2 we will be in a strong position to scope out the work required for a DBaaS. But I think it’s fair to say that DBaaS is inevitable :slightly_smiling_face:

In the meantime we will be glad to assist anyone who wants to start building with XTDB and map out what the production operational requirements would look like between now and any future DBaaS availability.

1 Like

Thanks, @refset ! Given the Postgres compatibility, would you say that using XTDB as the backend for (e.g.,) Supabase could be a reality at some point? :smiley:

Perhaps! Take a look at this discussion if you haven’t already: Vote for more Databases · supabase · Discussion #6 · GitHub

It looks like there are some features which may be a hard blocker (row-level security etc.) but I haven’t dug in.

In general I wouldn’t expect XTDB to ‘just work’ with any given Postgres-compatible tool straight away, there will almost always be upstream changes required or new things added to XTDB. CockroachDB is in a very similar place with that (although they have gone a lot further in being bug-for-bug compatible - for us that’s not the goal)